Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance (MOCA)
National Early Detection of Ovarian Cancer Research Awards
2023 Request for Proposals
The Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance will award up to $150,000 in November 2023 to support
research on the early detection of ovarian cancer.
Research proposals may be for individual projects or part of a larger research project related to
the prevention or early detection of ovarian, primary peritoneal, or fallopian tube cancer.
Awards are open to U.S.-based researchers outside of Minnesota. Project funding is available
for one year of activity. Grant requests must be in the amount of $50,000 or $100,000.
Evaluation of proposed projects will be made by national experts in early detection research
and at large MOCA members. Recommendations will be voted on by the MOCA Board of
September 1, 2023: Deadline for submission. All proposals must be received in the
MOCA office by 4:00 p.m. on this date.
October 27, 2023: Notification of action by MOCA.
November 4, 2023: MOCA Awards Night – Public announcement of the awardees.
Proposals must be paginated and include the following:
1. Cover letter should include the grant title, the PI’s name, and direct contact information.
2. Abstract of proposed research, including rationale of the study (you do not need to
include an explanation of why ovarian cancer is worthy of being studied or basic
statistics on ovarian cancer as these are very familiar to all our reviewers), significance
of research, an explanation as to why this is innovative (if it is), aims, and a brief
overview of research design and methods.
3. Summary of proposed research (one paragraph), which describes the proposed
research in terms an educated layperson would understand and describes the
significance of the research to the patient population.
4. Research proposal, not to exceed 6 pages. Additional supporting information may be
provided in addendum form if deemed essential.
o If submitting a continuation of a project previously funded by MOCA, include a
summary of the progress toward previous aims and how this proposal differs.
5. Budget should include the category of expense and include a rationale for each budget
item. MOCA funds can be used for PI salary, conference travel, and publication costs as
deemed necessary by PI. Salary costs should be detailed. MOCA funds cannot be used
for indirect costs.
6. Information about PI, including:
o Biographical statement of personal career goals of PI (one page)
o Contact information, including direct phone number and email address
o Curriculum vitae (resume), including education, honors, professional experience,
o Biographical sketch format is acceptable
7. Letter of recommendation from the relevant person overseeing the institution,
department, or lab where the research will be conducted.
8. Project timeline detailing the expected chronological progress of research aims.
9. Review of similar studies, including similar studies underway or pending, which might
influence subject accrual or funding.
Electronic proposals must be submitted as one PDF document and received by the MOCA
office by 4 p.m. CT on September 1, 2023. Direct your electronic submission to Kate Rodriguez