Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance (MOCA)
2021 Ovarian Cancer Research Awards
Request for Proposals
The Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance will award multiple grants in May 2021 to accelerate the ovarian cancer research work of Minnesota researchers.
Research proposals may be for individual projects or part of a larger research project related to ovarian, primary peritoneal or fallopian tube cancer. Awards will be granted only to projects conducted in the state of Minnesota by Minnesota-based researchers. Project funding is available for 1 year of activity. Grant requests must be in the exact amount of either $50,000 or $100,000 for general awards or $85,000 for the Spin it Teal/Give to the Max Day research awards.
All research proposals will be considered; however, special consideration will be given to:
- Innovative approaches to detection or treatment, not previously explored before;
- Proposals which may lead to early detection, better treatment or a cure for ovarian cancer;
- Projects that may benefit women living with ovarian cancer today;
- Translational projects that include a plan for a clinical trial;
- Projects that might not otherwise be funded; and
- Projects that will result in the development of preliminary data which will enable the researcher to compete for larger national grants.
Sixth Annual Spin It Teal/Give to the Max Day research award: Awards of $85,000 funded by MOCA’s Spin It Teal event and Give to the Max Day will be awarded to two projects focused on preventing the recurrence of ovarian cancer. Project funding is available for 1 year of activity.
Currently funded MOCA researchers may apply for only one additional grant during the time they have an active grant. All grant activities on previous awards must be up to date and reports must be submitted before applying for an additional grant award from MOCA.
Evaluation of proposed projects will be made by national experts in ovarian cancer research and at large MOCA members. Recommendations will be voted on by the MOCA Board of Directors.
March 1, 2021 Deadline for submission. All proposals must be emailed to Kate Micek (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 4:00pm CT on this date.
April 30, 2021 Notification of action by MOCA.
Proposals must be paginated and include the following:
- Cover letter should include the grant title, the PI’s name and direct contact information, total amount of funding requested, expected period of grant activity and should state clearly if applying for the $85,000 Spin It Teal/Give to the Max Day award.
- Abstract of proposed research, including rationale of the study (you do not need to include an explanation of why ovarian cancer is worthy of being studied or basic statistics on ovarian cancer as these are very familiar to all our reviewers), significance of research, explanation as to why this is innovative (if it is), aims, and a brief overview of research design and methods.
- Summary of proposed research (one paragraph) which describes the proposed research in terms an educated layperson would understand and describes the significance of the research to the patient population.
- Research proposal, not to exceed 6 pages. Additional supporting information may be provided in addendum form if deemed essential.
- Budget should clearly state total amount requested. Budget should include category of expense and include a rationale for each budget item. MOCA funds can be used for PI salary, conference travel and publication costs as deemed necessary by PI. Salary costs should be detailed. MOCA funds cannot be used for indirect costs.
- Information about PI, including:
- Biographical statement of personal career goals of PI (one page)
- Contact information, including direct phone number and email address
- Curriculum vitae (resume), including education, honors, professional experience, publications, and grants
- Biographical sketch format is acceptable.
- Letter of recommendation from the relevant person overseeing the institution, department, or lab where the research will be conducted.
- Project timeline detailing the expected chronological progress of research goals over the year of funding requested.
- Review of similar studies, including similar studies underway or pending which might influence subject accrual or funding.
Electronic proposals must be submitted as one PDF document and be received by the MOCA office by 4 p.m. CT on March 1, 2021. Direct your electronic submission to email@example.com. Send one original hard copy of the proposal to:
Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance
4604 Chicago Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55407