We’re hiring an Events Manager!
MOCA is searching for an Events Manager. Find details about this role and the application process below.
The Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance (MOCA) is a statewide nonprofit organization, headquartered in Minneapolis, founded in 1999 to support women and families affected by ovarian cancer and to fund the research needed to change the future course of the disease. MOCA provides a full range of support and education programs and has awarded more than $9 million for ovarian cancer research.
Mission and Purpose
Contribute and further MOCA’s mission:
- To create an awareness regarding early warning signs that may be indicative of ovarian cancer.
- To create and promote resources for support, networking, and education for women diagnosed with ovarian cancer and their families.
- To unite and educate individuals, the medical community, and organizations to achieve earlier diagnosis, better treatment and a cure for ovarian cancer.
- To advance ovarian cancer research toward earlier diagnosis, better treatment and a cure.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Events Manager plans, organizes and implements special events for fundraising and public awareness purposes. Major annual fundraising events include two galas, a golf tournament and a walk run. The Events Manager also coordinates two organization-wide events: the spring Annual Meeting and fall Awards Night Meeting. It is critical that this position represents MOCA professionally and with an emphasis on MOCA’s mission.
The position will manage and coordinate MOCA’s annual events and third-party fundraising events, and the development and maintenance of corporate and individual support for annual events.
MOCA’s annual events are typically led by planning committees of which the Events Manager would act as a key participant.
- Act as liaison between event planning committees and MOCA to share best practices, standardize core practices to leverage costs, ensure consistency of messaging MOCA’s mission and image and maximize success of each event.
- Manage event logistics, including invitations, brochures, sponsorship materials, registration, vendor/contractor services and speaker arrangements to ensure its success. The design and mailing of materials is currently managed by other MOCA staff positions.
- Cultivate new and existing corporate relationships to secure event sponsorships and in-kind donations. Manage relationships including correspondence, event presence and appreciation.
- Set up, manage and troubleshoot all online event pages and handle user questions.
- Lead volunteer efforts:
- Coordinate the recruitment and placement of event volunteers by working with planning committees on volunteer needs;
- Train and orient volunteers to event requirements as well as understanding MOCA’s mission and purpose;
- Provide leadership to volunteers while attending events
- Track volunteer participation at all events; and
- Ensure appropriate volunteer recognition immediately following event as well as at the annual membership meeting.
- Work with other MOCA staff to ensure the development of external and internal communications for the events, including event brochures, invitations, social marketing, community advertising and PSAs.
- Communicate funding targets and track expenses and revenue for each event. Maintain budget and communicate status regularly to event planning committees.
- Maintain event documentation [meeting minutes, vendor contracts, budgets, etc.] to ensure continuity of event year-to-year and improve on each event’s success.
- Develop and implement an evaluation approach to special events in order to make improvements and continue success strategies.
- Prepare report for Executive Director following each fundraising event to include budget targets vs. actuals, event revenues/expenses, key learnings, summary of event evaluation and debrief of volunteer efforts.
- Manage all third-party fundraisers, including cultivation, set-up, providing necessary materials and appreciation
- MOCA Stars, Final Stretch and other events as needed.
- Monitor Facebook Fundraisers benefiting MOCA and recognize organizers.
- Supervise Special Events intern.
- Assist with day-to-day volunteer management and office activities as needed.
- Respond to requests from constituents, telephone calls and general e-mail from the public.
- Perform other administrative tasks as assigned.
- BA/BS degree in management, communications, business or related field.
- Three to five years’ experience in events management or comparable work experience, preferably working for a non-profit.
- Fundraising and volunteer management experience preferred.
- Raisers Edge experience required, Qgiv and OneCause experience desired.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Proven ability to develop corporate sponsors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and work autonomously.
- Personal Leadership – Moves others to take actions through influence and negotiation, willingness to bring up difficult issues, demonstrates personal courage, gains the respect of others, provides enthusiastic encouragement and recognition of volunteers and fosters teamwork.
- Communication – Demonstrates effective and timely communication, possesses skill in communication planning and implementation and exhibits effective personal communication skills in the areas of listening, speaking, presenting and writing.
- Project planning and implementation — Demonstrates effective time management, ability to prioritize and organize, driven to results, sound problem analysis as well as judgment/decision making, tenacity, operates proactively rather than reactively, has a sense of urgency and offers creativity.
- Interpersonal effectiveness – Interacts effectively with diverse audiences, builds strong relationships and works collaboratively.
- Strong commitment to MOCA mission and members.
Additional position information:
- Position reports directly to the Executive Director.
- This position is salaried for 30 hours per week. Benefit package includes PTO, 403b match, health, dental, life and disability insurance.
- There is some flexibility with regard to hours worked. Nights and weekends occasionally required. Some in-state travel required.
- Please send your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com
- No phone calls please.