Surviving the holidays takes on a whole new meaning when you’re affected by cancer. The pandemic means even more challenges and possibly—changes to your plans. In this month’s Teal Talk, MOCA’s Community Support Program Manager Stefanie Gliniany has some tips to help you cope this holiday season.
- Plan ahead and have options if circumstances change. Stay updated with the latest CDC guidelines for cancer patients and their caregivers. You can find them, here.
- Try to balance activity and rest. Set limits and don’t be afraid to delegate.
- Give yourself permission to feel and express your feelings, whether that’s joy or sadness. Let yourself laugh or cry.
- Focus on ways to create or adapt traditions. Prioritize what means the most to you.
- Use tools to help cope with any stress or isolation such as: deep breathing, writing in a journal, meditation or creating a gratitude list.
Lastly, remember the reason for the season. Focus on the present moment and enjoy your holiday celebrations in whatever form they take. Sending you my warmest wishes for a wonderful holiday season!